The dedication and passion we bring to our mission of improving patient lives is similar to the mindset we apply to improving Biogen’s operational impact and contributing to a more regenerative environment for tomorrow.
We strive to be a catalyst for positive change by addressing environmental impacts and by increasing the performance and diversity of our supply chain, including collaborations to develop better packaging solutions, and address the carbon impacts resulting from our business.
We are working to embrace green chemistry and are finding new and better ways to minimize waste and maintain zero waste-to-landfill.
- Climate Strategy: Biogen has committed to establishing a science-based greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction target to align with global efforts aimed to ensure the earth’s average temperature does not rise more than 2 degrees Celsius.
- Product Stewardship: We comply with applicable regulations and minimize adverse health, safety, environmental, and social impacts of our products, while maximizing their benefits and value through their full life cycle. To this end, we are investing in serialization technology to protect our products from counterfeits and improve patient safety.
- Green Chemistry: Our approach to green chemistry focuses on ways to make our drug discovery and development processes safer, more efficient, and more sustainable, while saving costs at the same time.
- Supply Chain Responsibility: Biogen’s Code of Business Conduct, Human Rights Position Statement and UK Modern Slavery Statement establish the principles and practices of ethical business to which we expect all of our suppliers, business partners, and employees to adhere. In addition, our commitment to inclusive sourcing and procurement practices is represented in our supplier diversity program.
Protecting Our Products from Counterfeits and Falsified Medicines
Innovating to Minimize Negative Impact on the Environment
Goals and performance
- Reduced operational carbon intensity by 70% since 2006
- Reduced weight of packaging materials used to deliver products that require refrigeration by 28.5 metric tons per year and decreased shipping costs by 30%. The cumulative GHG savings from these improvements is equivalent to taking an estimated 35 cars off the road for one year.
- Screened 100% of all supply chain spending, including smaller, non-Tier 1 suppliers